Saturday, March 14, 2015

Endings



There’s no greater feeling for an author than typing “The End.”

It’s like the culmination of everything awesome. The story’s done, and hopefully the couple rode off into the sunset together for their HEA. In the case of mine, of course there’s a fabulous HEA. My inner hopeless romantic wouldn’t have it any other way.

But as much as authors hope readers share the same journey when they read the finish product, a reader can’t 100% understand what it’s like to write a book (unless the reader is a writer, too. Obviously authors read books. I read almost as much as I write)

When it’s my story, my couple, it’s not the same as when I pick up a book by my favorite author. It’s personal. And in a way, I go on as much of a journey as the couple.

I share their ups and downs, when they cry, I cry, when they laugh, that too. When they succeed, I feel like I do, too.

And when the book is over, I hope they feel like *I* succeeded in telling their tale. Then I can get it out in the world and hopefully readers will love them as much as I do.

No matter the book, I always end up with a crush on my hero, and many times my heroine, too. Even if they make me mad, (believe me, sometimes they do) I love them.

Come to think of it, writing a book from start to finish is kinda like raising kids. You want the characters to succeed as you watch them grow and change. You love them and are there for them through the good times and the bad. To get them to adulthood, and send them off into the world!

After such a journey, and spending so much time with them, typing “The End” can be a tad bittersweet. Sometimes I struggle to let go. Even as much as I love to jump to the next couple, the next story.

I guess I mourn a bit. Sometimes I take a day or two to decompress. And of course over-analyze if the book was actually ready to go to my editor. (After I hit send, of course).

Then those days, I think of them, often dream of them and wonder if I missed anything. Then I put those thoughts off until edits come back…lol.

Even if I start that next book, realigning my focus can be a challenge. The new book’s characters have to get in my face and remind me whose turn it is. Sometimes I need that, too.

No matter how many books I write, I love all my couples, and all my characters. They carry a small piece of who I am with them. That’s another neat thing about writing. They mean as much to me as my readers do!



No comments:

Post a Comment