Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tell Me About it Tuesday welcomes Mia Catherine!

Today I'm welcoming a fellow Totally Bound author, Mia Catherine!  I am so excited she's here to share her awesome new book! (GORGEOUS cover!)


Meet Mia:

Born and raised in Wisconsin, Mia Catherine is a proud Cheesehead living with her husband and their three young sons. An avid fan of television dramas, Mia looked away from the small screen when she became disillusioned with the lack of substance on current shows. Enjoying the fantasy involved in a good love story, she turned to reading, and quickly discovered a little voice in her head. That voice led to writing her first chapter, and the second, and the third…

Now, translating that voice in her head to words on the computer is Mia’s escape when times are hard. As words begin to form a story, she’s allowed to escape the trials of everyday life and live in her own little world, if for only a short time.

Knowing others find some pleasure reading what she’s written is just an added bonus.





Q. How has your journey in publishing been? Anything you would or wouldn’t do again? 

I would describe my journey as unexpected. I didn't begin writing with the intention of being published. I didn't have any intention at all. My journey began by writing a story about characters I loved from my childhood. Once I became engrossed and realized writing could be as addictive as reading, I was all in.
To develop my writing, I entered literary contests and took online classes to improve the areas pointed out by judges. I'm only steps into a (hopefully) long journey, but looking back at the path thus far, I wouldn't change a thing. My new career developed organically, and the way it was meant to.


Q. What advice do you have for someone who wants a career in writing? 


Write, write, write, write. Writing is like any other activity. It takes practice to develop. Just like playing an instrument, acting in a play, or even learning math, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. There's always something to improve, and the learning will never end, but the only way to progress is to write.

I'd also recommend becoming a book reviewer. Not only can you learn a lot about the publishing world by reading others' work, you can get learn what you like and dislike from other authors and use it to improve your own storytelling.



Q. What other interests or hobbies do you have outside of writing? 


I spent most free moments writing because I don't get many of them. I work a full time job and have a husband and three young boys at home. Writing is my release, my relaxation, so when I have extra time, it's usually spent writing. I also try to take time to read occasionally.



Q. Do you have a favorite story of the ones you’ve written, either published or not? Why? 


My favorite story thus far is my newest release, Unexpected Consequences. It will always have a special place in my heart because it is my first published full-length book, but after reading, editing, rereading, and editing again, I still get sucked into the story. That tells me it's something special, and I'm very proud of it. I'm excited to work on the sequel as well!



Okay...enough with the business questions! How about some fun stuff?



Q. If you won the lottery, what is the FIRST thing you’d do? What would you buy and why? 


The first and only thing I'd do immediately is pay off my house. My family moved to our house almost by accident, but it's the ideal place for us for too many reasons to list. To not struggle with a house payment would give us a freedom few enjoy in life. Since my father is a financial advisor and has taught me since birth, I'd say I'd invest the remainder.



Q. When YOU read, what do you like to pick up? 


I love a good love story, regardless, but my all time favorite is reading about military men. I admire our troops more than I can say, and I hope one day to do them justice enough to publish a military tale, but there's nothing that compares to a man in uniform for me. The sacrifice, the bravery, the struggle...  It's all good!



Q. Tell us one thing about you that might surprise us...it can be a secret...we won't tell. :) 


My writing career came as a huge shock to anyone who knows me personally, including my husband. In my day to day life, I am very reserved, conservative and serious. I rarely curse, I don't drink, and am very involved in my church. For my friends and family to find out I write books that include erotic elements stunned so many. 


Okkkkkay! My fave part! Tell us about that book!



Unexpected Consequences is truly a labor of love because it wasn't written for publication. I wrote it for fun, but as I learned and improved my skills, it was the story I always turned to. 

Nick and Kelsey meet by chance, but their connection is instant and powerful, despite the whirlwind of activity around them. I love them and I hope others will, too.
 



Blurb:


Kelsey Braden has lived her life obeying the rules, but now that she’s back in her hometown of Brookfield after having accepted her dream job, she wants more. Stuck in her protective shell and desperately wanting a way out, she finally decides to be spontaneous and acts on impulse.

Nick Jensen has lived a life full of challenges and pain. An intimidating loner, his history of mistakes and bad choices have alienated those once close to him. Now that he finds himself working for the wrong people, he struggles with his current assignment – betraying his former best friend.

When Kelsey finds out the hot stranger she's fallen for is not only working for a well-known gangster, but that his target is her brother, she vows to cut him from her life. Unfortunately, the powerful men Nick is involved with have discovered the connection Kelsey has with both Nick and her brother, and decide to use her as an insurance policy. Nick has to find a way to save his new love, protect her brother, and prevent Kelsey from hating him, all while battling demons of his own.




Excerpt:


"Wanna take me on?" a pretty blonde asked, tilting her head to the side and giving him a sexy smile. 
 
"Well, that depends," Nick replied as he drank in the sight of her. She was much too classy to be a hooker, at least compared to the hookers he’d known. If anything, she seemed too innocent to be in a shitty place like this. Still, if she was selling, he might have to reconsider his rule of never paying for sex. A fine young thing like her didn’t cross his path on a regular basis. 

He took his time as he looked her over. Her tits were full, yet pert, and he could only imagine how sweet she’d taste, if given the opportunity. Her skin was flawless, her cheeks had just the right hint of pink, and her perfectly plump lips rounded in the most enticing little pout. She was beautiful, and sexy as hell, but what caught his attention most was the incredible depth in her clear blue eyes. They sparkled, even in the dimly lit bar. She could’ve had her pick of anyone in the joint, not that she even belonged there in the first place, but here she was, hitting on him. 

"On what?" 

"On what you mean by take you on." 

"Well, how about we start with a game of pool? You up for it?" She walked past him, closer than necessary, and reached for a pool cue from the rack on the wall. The faint fragrance of lilacs trailed behind her. He couldn’t tell if it was her perfume or shampoo, but as soon as it dissipated, he wanted to close in to figure it out. 

He watched the way her skirt hugged her curves. Her ass was every man’s dream. "Baby, I’m up for whatever you’re offering. What are the stakes?" 

"How about loser buys dinner?"

"Works for me." He was tempted to throw the game if it meant taking her somewhere private and getting to know her better, but he had to keep his cool. "Wanna break?" 

"Winner’s table. She’s all yours." 

He did his best to concentrate on his task as he chalked up his cue. His ultimate goal was getting her somewhere alone, or, better yet, in his bed, but his pride was at stake. He couldn’t allow himself to look like a fool by losing to her. With one fast swipe of his cue, the smack of the pool balls rang through the bar. 

Nick sank two more balls in quick succession, trying his best to balance skill with brevity. When he circled the table for his next shot, he caught sight of what was happening on the other side of the table, and his hopes for the evening began to fade. 

A young dark-haired man was now sitting beside his beautiful opponent, showing obvious interest. He was exactly the all-American type he’d expect a beauty like her to go for. Well, so much for that. 

Trying to keep his attention on the game, he rounded the corner for his next shot. The distraction caused him to miss, but he could now hear what the two were saying. 

"Can I buy you a drink?" the intruder asked her. 

"No thanks, I’m fine," she curtly responded. 

"Oh, come on. Give a guy a chance. I know how to please a woman." He gave her a smile he’d no doubt perfected on many unsuspecting girls. 

"Then please leave me alone." Although talking to the young man, her attention never veered from Nick, and his hopes for the evening renewed. 

The intruder continued, clearly not giving up. "I think you want me." 

She turned and looked him dead in the eye. "Oh, you’re so right. I want you to leave!"

Nick admired her feistiness and waited for the young punk to walk away with his tail between his legs. When it was clear that wasn’t going to happen, he intervened. 

"Is there a problem here?" Nick asked the intruder. 

"No, no problem, buddy. I was just talking to the lady."

Nick’s gaze left the punk and moved to her. "It’s your shot."

"Oh, great, it’s time to earn my dinner!" She smiled at Nick and walked towards the table. 

Nick turned back to the punk. "Looks like the lady isn’t interested in anything you have to say." He then leaned closer and, with his practiced grizzly voice and gritted teeth, snarled, "Buddy." 

He chuckled when he saw the intruder lean back and avert his gaze. It was a sign of fear Nick had come to enjoy in unsuspecting assholes such as him. Without another word, the punk slunk away. "Smart boy," he muttered to himself. 

Nick returned his attention to the pool table, where he found the beauty lining up her shot. The vision made blood rush towards his growing erection and he had to adjust his stance to allow room in his jeans. Damn, but she’s sexy.


Buy It!
 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me! (I love the cover, too. Totally Bound ROCKS!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the excerpt Mia.
    I'm looking forward to reading Kelsey and Nick's story and as I've said before I really love the cover.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia, the best stories are written for fun, not for the $$ or the fame.

    Unexpected Consequences sounds like it fits that mold.

    Good luck with it - and your future books!

    ReplyDelete