Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tell Me About it Tuesday Welcomes Janet French!


This week on Tell Me About it Tuesday, I have fellow Gypsy, Janet French!

She was kind enough to let me interview her, and wow, the answers are cool.

Check it out!

Meet Janet!



In her own words:
I have a husband, children, grandchildren, a craft supplies shop, a cat and a canary. Life is good.

HAHA! I love it! Short and sweet!




Q. Do you do any special research for your novels?

Definitely! The world of The Cardanon Chronicles has enough about people and landscape in common with our world for a reader to make a connection and feel some familiarity with the settings. I always make sure the geography and geology is plausible but when it comes to armour or botany or sailing ships, for instance, I really check the details and make sure I don’t go badly wrong. I would rather work around it than make a bad mistake. I keep a thesaurus and a book on dogs close to hand at all times but then, who wouldn’t?

Q. What’s your favorite genre to read? Do you write it?

I spent most of the 60s and 70s reading vast amounts of science fiction. That felt like a golden age for wild imaginings and from there I moved into a lot of swords and sorcery fantasy, and I mean a lot! I like to escape when I read and it is the same when I write. I enjoy crime mysteries too which I think shows through in The Silver House. I didn’t set out to solve a murder alongside a magic and Dragons adventure but I just couldn’t help myself.


Q. What are you working on right now? Can you tell us about it?        


The second of the Cardanon Chronicles is causing me no end of grief but I am plugging away at it. I have outlines for the four book set but that is a long way from a satisfying story, particularly as I seem to write long books. Book 2 will be The Ruby Princess and pick up some of the main characters from The Silver House, six years on.


Q. Did you ever write a character you didn’t like? Or one that gave you problems, going against your intentions for them or your story?


They can’t all be likeable or the story would be very boring. My characters are people, after all, be they human or Dragon.  I find they come to life as the story goes on and start adding their own bits to the story but I am quite strict with them. They are there to add to the story line, not mess it up! 


Q. The opportunity to go on a surprise vacation arises. You have 90 minutes to pack and get to the airport. Where will you go and what will you pack?


Here is my secret, I have never flown and I don’t have a passport. However surprise vacations are definitely my thing. I can pick up some embroidery, my Kindle and a credit card and be on the road for the English Lake District in 5 minutes. Join me?


Q. If they make a movie about your life, who do you want to play your part?


Obviously a beautiful action heroine, seductive and resourceful. Maybe Lucy Lawless or Angelina Jolie? In my dreams!



That was a GREAT interview, thank you, Janet! I am so pleased to hear about your book! Tell us about it!


 Blurb:

The first of The Cardanon Chronicles, this is an adventure story in a world of Dragons, magic, politics, murder, invasion, battles and heroes.

The Zashran invaders are at the gates of Cardanon. As the city falls the Dragon Mothers take the Silver House and the city’s children into hiding away from the mortal world.

The future of the House, the threads of Power and the land itself are in the hands of a ragbag of escapees. The boy Duke of Cardanon, a beggar girl, a House Sister, a merchant’s son and a group of rescued children are led by a stranded Dragon Mother. Only accustomed to the safety of city life they must evade the pursuing Zashran and find their way through a strange and exciting countryside with only their courage and resourcefulness to rely on.

It is up to these few to face the dangers of the road and find their way to the heroes who can help them save the House and their world.
 

 Excerpt:


Chapter One

Duke Coric leaned back into the shifting shadows against the stained and broken wall that used to be a part of Cardanon’s finest inn. Across the broad street, the Great North Gates shuddered under the pounding of the Zashran rams and the noise filled the sooty air.



Coric was tall and well made, of middle years, with an air of inherited stature and grace but the slight stoop to his shoulders and the weakness of his blue eyes betrayed a man used to seeing the world in close up, in books and histories. Three months of siege had not made his armour comfortable nor his sword fit his hand. This was the end of his city. One thousand years of history was coming to a crashing finale under his rule and the last of his dynasty would fall with it.



The ugly glare from buildings left to burn in the night lit the scene with a hellish light. Coric slid sideways toward the deeper shadows and wondered if he could be out of sight.



Even now the Duke was not left unattended, a millennium of protocol was not lost so easily, but the humour of seeing his Steward, Eoc, picking his way through ruin to offer him water had been exhausted many weeks ago. Coric scrubbed at his gritty eyes with the back of his leather gauntlet and heaved himself away from the wall.



He addressed the man, “There are plenty of men who need that more than I do. Give it to someone who can still help this city.” Coric was thankful he could still hear some authority in his voice.



Eoc stiffened, affronted, as much as he was able against a ragged crutch and stood his ground.



“My apologies, Eoc, but I am resolute in this if in nothing else. If there is water left, give it to fighting men. I am of no use to my city now.”



“Don’t say that, Sir!” Eoc pleaded. “There is only you and the House holding us together.”



Coric followed Eoc’s gaze up to where the tower of the Silver House, high behind them, was hidden in the night.



“I still pray Power for help but how can any of us hope to see the morning?” Coric’s voice betrayed him with a tremble.



“We will defend the House, Sir, even if the gates fall.”



Coric shook his head and looked around in the guttering light at the muster of men waiting to meet the Zashran invaders. He could not see more than a handful without signs of injury and those were exhausted and half-starved. The wounded that could bear any weapon at all had been brought from the surgeons’ care and were lining up before the gates. Coric’s eyes misted as he watched the men propped against buildings, their swords strapped to their hands. Women were moving out from the shadows carrying whatever weapons the fallen fighting men had left behind. The Zashran took no prisoners and gave no quarter. Cardanon’s remnants were choosing death in the open rather than waiting to be butchered.










Wow this looks like an intriguing read!





































































Buy it!


More Janet:

4 comments:

  1. Thankyou for having me Chrissie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tehehe! a cat and a canary! Do they get along? that tickled me a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun. Nice to meet you on a Tuesday (on Friday... okay, I'm always late).

    ReplyDelete