Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tell Me Abut it Tuesday welcomes Dawn Colclasure!

This week I am really excited to welcome a fellow Gypsy, Dawn Colclasure! So without further ado, meet Dawn!


About Dawn:

She started writing as a young child when encouraged to write poems into a journal by a hospital nurse, and from there she went on to write short stories, articles, book-length fiction and songs. She later started writing plays and skits. Today she has written books, articles, essays and poems published in regional and national media, including on the World Wide Web. She has also written under the pen name Dana Mitchells. 

Dawn is married and the mother of two children, Jennifer and Jesse. She works from home in Oregon. She has worked as a freelance writer, journalist, book reviewer, editor and ghostwriter. Her specialties are in parenting, deaf news, writing, health, crafts, history and culture.





Q. How has your journey in publishing been? Anything you would or wouldn’t do again?

The journey to publication was long and trying but definitely worth hanging in there when publication finally did happen. I started writing as a child and wanted to be published. My high school would not let me be a part of the newspaper staff but my college did so that’s how I finally got published in a legit market. From there, I had articles published in the local newspaper and I finally landed my first paying gig as a writer. My very first experience getting published was getting a poem published at age 11 in a poetry anthology; I paid for publication, which I did not know at that time was a bad thing to do. But I learned from it. There are definitely some mistakes I have made on this journey to publication, but I would not want to erase anything from my past because they were all learning experiences. I have grown on this journey and I appreciate everything that has happened because that’s how I learned things.

Q. What made you pick your particular genre?

I’ve always been interested in ghosts and the paranormal, so it’s only natural I would end up writing ghost books as well as ghost stories. However, my novels are based on things that happen in my life – like a dream experience I had or a scary caller at an apartment I shared with my sister when we were living on our own – so it’s not just ghosts that keep me writing. I also like horror, suspense and fantasy.

Q. What are you working on right now? Can you tell us about it?

I am actually wrapping up a ghost book I have been working on for four years. It’s a collection of stories from paranormal investigators who have done investigations in some of America’s most haunted cities. The GHOST Group series was actually inspired by this book, because I kept asking myself, What is it like to live in a haunted city? I only know what it’s like to live in a haunted house! I am also revising Book Four in the GHOST Group series and currently trying to finish Book 2 in the “Revise Your Writing” series.

Q. Do you have a favorite story of the ones you’ve written, either published or not? Why?

I actually have one I wrote that was inspired by something I read in a vampire book. It was a fact about Elizabeth Bathory’s upbringing that I never knew about and, at that time, my daughter came up with an idea for a Halloween costume that sort of tied into what I learned. So from that I came up with an idea for a horror novel called Curse of the Blood Witch and it’s not published yet but I’m hopeful I can get it ready to submit very soon. I like it because it ties into a historical figure (Lady Bathory) and I can only hope I wrote her character well enough! I love history and I always try to tie in a bit of history in all of my stories. In my forthcoming novel, Shadow of Samhain, I had to write about ancient Gaelic Druids and that was an interesting challenge. But the blood witch in my horror novel scares me. This story is very dark.

Okay...enough with the business questions! How about some fun stuff?
Q. If you won the lottery, what is the FIRST thing you’d do? What would you buy and why?

The first thing I’d do if I won the lottery is buy is the house I am living in! I just love it. What would I buy? A trailer that I could convert into a library and place it in my backyard! I have always wanted to do that. I’d also buy each of my children new bedroom furniture and carpeting, a car for my hubby and a pretty little doghouse for my dog. Oh, and maybe boxes and boxes of books…

Q. When YOU read, what do you like to pick up?

I can read just about anything. I like nonfiction, and with that, I will read whatever grabs my interest. With fiction, I like horror, poetry, children’s books, ghost stories and suspense. I also love a good mystery!

Q. Tell us one thing about you that might surprise us...it can be a secret...we won't tell. :)

I have a bit of a potty mouth in real life.


Okay, here's my favorite part. Tell me about your newest release! By the way, the cover is VERY interesting on this book. I love it.


 



There’s something different about Sarah Town. It’s brimming with ghosts – and some of those ghosts need help! That’s where the GHOST Group comes in – the Ghost Helpers of Sarah Town. The GHOST Group is made up of five 11-year-old team members: Jesse, Jenny, Ryan, Trent, and Cassie.

The Ghost of Sarah Travers is the story about Sarah, who Sarah Town was named after. Her ghost haunts what used to be her home, but can the kids help her find who she is looking for before the town skeptic brings an end to ghosthunting in Sarah Town for good?

The Ghost of the Crying Valentine has the GHOST Group solving the mystery of a sad ghostly girl haunting their school. Rumors about this girl ghost catch the attention of a TV show and the kids lock horns with the show host as they try to help the crying ghost.



Coming soon from Gypsy Shadow Publishing!


 

More Dawn:
Blog
Website
Dawn's Author Page at GSP
Facebook
Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog, Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come back any time, Dawn! Defintely when its released!

      Delete