Monday, July 9, 2012

Welcome Liz Crowe!

Everyone please welcome one of my favorite authors, Liz Crowe!

She's joined us today for a little insight to her and to talk about her newest book. And for those of you who have NOT picked up the Stewart Realty Series, GET IT NOW! It's awesomesauce!

Microbrewery owner, multi-published author, beer blogger and journalist, mom of three teenagers, and soccer fan, Liz brings years of real-world experience to her life as author. Working in sales and fund raising, plus an eight-year stint as an ex-pat trailing spouse PLUS making her way in a world of men (i.e. the beer industry) has given her all the “what if?” moments she needs for many books.

When she isn’t sweating inventory and sales figures for the brewery, she can be found writing, editing or sweating promotional efforts for her latest publications. When free time presents itself you are likely to find her walking her standard poodles or doing Bikram yoga. Her beer blog is nationally recognized for its insider yet outsider views on the craft beer industry. Her books are set in the not-so-common worlds of breweries, on the soccer pitch and in high powered real estate offices. Don’t ask her for anything “like” a Budweiser or risk painful injury.
 
1.  Tell us about yourself.
I am a micro-brewery owner, marketing expert, sports loving writer of "real life" erotic fiction. I have a couple of teenaged daughters and a twenty year old son, 2 standard poodles and have the worst eating habits ever. But I am addicted to Bikram yoga which sort of (but not always) balances it out.  I currently have 15 published e books including 4 that are available in print. I've been a newspaper editor, PTO president, trailing ex-pat spouse, and real estate agent at various times of my work life and have a degree in English lit from the University of Louisville.  Oh, and I have an embarrassingly high tolerance for alcohol and hold the first Saturday of May as a holy day, look it up. And am addicted to bacon, and Mad Men. 

2. Tell us about your upcoming/newest release.
Essence of Time is the 4th book in the Stewart Realty series. It goes back and captures the  history of Jack Gordon, hero of the first 3 but is actually a love story between Rob Freitag and Blake Thornton. It's a nice long (100k + words) novel of motivation and backstory for several of the characters in the original 3 Realty books.
3.  What Inspired you to write the first book?
It was the first thing I actually wrote but not the first thing I got published and has been nearly 4 years in the making.  As a realtor I had plenty of down time to think about the "what if" of many situations. I channeled them into the story of Jack and Sara and I allowed the saga to grow organically from there. 
4. How do you create your characters? How do you mold them to fit what you require for the story?

       I create situations before characters typically.  I had the idea of a couple of hot moments  between a couple of highly strung and successful realtors in my head, put them up on the laptop screen and the characters in many ways created themselves.  My characters are a reflection of the story I stick them in generally and find their own mold within it the plot arc as it unfolds.  A great example of this is Rob Freitag, who is in many ways the main male character of Essence of Time, although it is a m/m love story.  He started out as a convenient foil for Sara's brother-- a tall, blonde, French trained chef boyfriend for Blake, who's main purpose was to berate Blake for being so overprotective.  Now he has his own book and many of my biggest fans who LOVED the first 3 books claim this one is the best of them all.

5. I have personally read and loved many of your books, my favorite being the Stewart Realty Series. Can you tell us what's next for the series?

Thanks dear!
 I am waiting for edits back on Conditional Offer, the Stewart Realty novella, which is the story of Suzanne and Craig.  In the meantime I am writing the 6th book, a novel-length tale of what happens after Essence of Time, which includes a bridge to a new series: The Black Jack Gentlemen. This will be a multi-book series about a fictional Detroit-based expansion team in a fictional professional soccer league that is brought about thanks in part to the efforts of Jack Gordon.
But in my typical fashion I am going back in time and capturing another love story within it: that of Maureen Gordon (Jack's younger sister) and Brandis Taylor, his best friend from high school. It ends tragically as many readers know, but Maureen is going to get her happy ending in this book for certain-- and you can quote me on that. Essence of Time was a 3-kleenex box kind of gut wrenching read.  Escalation Clause will be uplifting in many ways for many favorite characters. 

6. What is your favorite part of the writing process? First Draft? Revisions? Editing? 

Whatever part I am NOT doing at the moment.  Each part has it's difficult moments to be certain but it's all part and parcel of the process. 

7. What do you do when you aren't writing? I hear you have quite an interesting job.

 I sell beer, manage a staff of people at my beer bar "Tap Room."  It's a cool job, but very demanding as we are growing so fast it is hard to know how to put on the brakes at times.  At the same time my writing career is really taking off thanks to the Stewart Realty series so striking that balance (beer and books) is also becoming more of a challenge.  But it could be worse--I could hate all my jobs!

8.  What  has been the best advice you have received along the way? What advice would you give someone starting out?

Never give up and never think you are "all that." I mean, I know I am all that, but only on Fridays.  Seriously you owe it to yourself as a writer to accept honest and professional editing. You will never ever get better without it, don't kid yourself. And support the colleagues (writers) who support you. 



Thanx Liz VERY much for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts. You're my first fellow author interview and I appreciate it! I look forward to your next book!





For years, Rob Frietag has resisted anything resembling a true emotional connection, preferring instead to explore life, and his own desires, without committing to anyone for very long. The reason remains known only to a few, among them Jack Gordon, his college cohort in female conquests, and life-long friend. At thirty-seven, while he is close to achieving his career goal, head chef at a five-star restaurant in Chicago, he is still very much alone.

After an intensely emotional relationship with Suzanne Baxter in Ann Arbor, Blake's heart is left shattered. Completely broken by what he believes was his one true love, he arrives at a Chicago food and beer festival, prepared to drink his sorrow away. When the two men meet, their lives change forever. But time is of the essence. When Rob acknowledges his true feelings, he will stop at nothing to keep them together, including finding a surrogate mother for the child Blake so desperately wants.

Lila Warren is recovering from a nasty divorce, needs cash and believes carrying their baby will fulfill her in ways marriage never did. None of them could suspect that the connection they share would provide the final emotional key to their life-long puzzle.

When Rob’s secret is revealed, time becomes the one luxury they don't have, setting in motion a chain of events that destroys the fragile illusion of happiness for them, and everyone who loves them.





12 comments:

  1. Awesome interview Liz:) I'm looking forward to the rest of this series, having enjoyed Floor Time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview, Chrissy. Thanks for letting us get inside Liz. Liz Crowe, you are an amazing author. You captivated my heart and soul with Jack and Sara and with Essence Of Time, you made a permanent place in my heart. Your talent for real life stories is incredible and have made me a lover and believer of them. Thank you for sharing your mind, heart, and soul with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Chrissy! I especially loved the advice Liz. Thank you so much for sharing. This is a series I definitely need to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. EoT was the best and I have to agree a 3 box tissue investment.Can't wait for the novella and EC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Nice interview, Chrissy. Liz - I'm halfway through Cheeky Blond. You kept me up reading last night.

      Delete
  5. Oh Chrissy...You interviewed the great Liz Crowe! Liz is one of my all time favorites!! God I loved the Stewart Realty Series!! Jack Gordon is going to be all slung up on my next banner! Great job you guys! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys for checking out my interview & your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chrissy,

    I nominated you on my blog for an award. :)

    Happy Tuesday!
    Cece

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic interview. It is always wonderful to get an inside look at another author and how they create and bring their work to life.

    ReplyDelete